Chiropractic for Athletes: Spotlight on Tennis
Tennis is a holistic wellness activity
Millions of people worldwide enjoy the sport of tennis while simultaneously using it to socialize and stay in shape. But the biomechanical demands of the sport mean that many of these players will sustain a sports-related injury in a given year. The strains for your body particular to the movements involved in tennis include:
- Hard foot plants: shear forces place a strain on the joints in the leg and spine, contributing to spinal misalignment and associated dysfunction.
- Repetitive stress: repeated movements place a disproportionate amount of stress on certain parts of the body, including the spinal joints.
- Ballistic motions: spontaneous propulsion of limbs in upper extremities places high levels of pressure on joints in the arms and spine.
- Twisting motions: side-to-side force increases pressure on the spinal joints.
The benefits of chiropractic for tennis players in Westwood
Because injury is ubiquitous in the tennis community, the sport demands a medical treatment that fully understands its biomechanical necessities. Here are some of the ways that chiropractic helps tennis players:
- Injury prevention: adjustments maintain spinal alignment and contribute to even development of the musculature in the back. A balanced spine is the foundation your body needs to stay injury free despite the forceful movements involved in tennis.
- Undoing repetitive stress: if one particular area in your back is feeling the effects of wear-and-tear, we can help mitigate pain with gentle, restorative modalities for the spinal joints.
- Providing expertise on tennis-specific stretching: the lower and upper extremities, as well as the core, are areas of focus for stretching.
Our goals are to improve range of motion, mitigate pain and help you perform on the court with more confidence in your body.
Chiropractic treatment for tennis players in Westwood
At OFW Chiropractic, we focus on providing tennis players with the therapy they need to keep enjoying themselves on the court. If you are interested in improving your spinal health as a means of boosting your game, give our office in Westwood a call to schedule an appointment today.
Leave a Comment